Cleansing is one of the most important elements in a skincare routine to concentrate on – there is absolutely no point spending a fortune or applying amazing serums, oils and moisturisers to a skin surface that is not clean and balanced. It’s like starting to paint a picture on a dirty canvas!
When doing consultations in clinic or offering advice to clients our first question will always be “What is your current cleansing routine?’ – More often than not this will signpost us to the problem and a plan for a starting point.
There are a whole variety of different cleansers on the market and it can be difficult knowing where to begin and select the right one for your skin type and concern.
- Single Cleanse in the morning
- Double Cleanse at night – First cleanse to remove make-up, SPF, dirt, pollutants, impurities and oil and second cleanse to concentrate on targeting skin concerns and conditions.
- DO NOT use facial wipes…… EVER! They will not remove anything just merely smear it around your face and coat the skin in a film of preservatives and other nasties.
- Luke warm water – not in the shower if you have the water temperature the equivalent to an Icelandic geyser.
- Cleanse with a flannel or Microfibre cloth – not a fan of muslin face cloths as when they are wet they don’t seem to effectively remove the product from the skin, but if you like them then use them. Choose a white cloth or flannel – nothing more satisfying that seeing the dirt on the cloth instead of your skin.
- A facial massage when you cleanse – enjoy it – take 10p size amount of cleanser and rub between your finger tips then apply to the skin – do not rub the cleanser vigorously between the palms of your hands – this will only result in your hands being super clean and not your face.
- There is no need to dry your face after your have cleansed. If you have used a cloth, your skin will be damp (perfect base for the next step) and not sopping wet.
Options for 1st Cleanse: